Thursday, January 15, 2009

How to write about Hip Hop part 1

A couple of years ago I was writing for a Hip-Hop magazine called "Showcase." I interviewed a couple of up and coming artists from the "Thizz Camp." It was a challenging and a memorable experience. I have a few articles I want to share with you, maybe I can give you some pointers.
If you’re from the Yay Area you’ve heard of Vallejo, CA, and even if you’re not, no doubt you’ve heard of Somebody reppin a small town in California called Vallejo. Well one of the hard hitters straight up out the Crest in Vallejo was Mac Dre (R.I.P.). One of the things he was working on before he passed was a record company called the Thizz Camp, an Indie label full of up and coming artists. One of the artists that was there from day one was none other than PSD tha Drivah. PSD grew up in the Crest with Mac Dre, although he was a little older than PSD, Dre and his partner Kilo took him under there wing and helped him put out his first Underground Album.
One third of the Cutthoat Committe along with Mac Dre (R.I.P.) & Dubee A.K.A. Sugawolf, PSD has been putting it down for a long time. As he would say “ I ain’t no new turd in the toilet.” I myself tend to agree with him, seeing as how he has his own label called “Gateway Records” up under his parent label “Thizz.” PSD has dropped 2 Cutthoat Committe albums, his newest one which came out August 23rd 2005 called “Guru” doing it’s thang, the one before that was “You Ain’t Heard of Me”, “All I Want”, “What it is” & “Game Cost.” He say’s “it’s Thizz for life until the lights go out on this small planet.” PSD say’s his position now with Thizz is to make sure everything sounds good before it’s released, but he’s still in it hustlin like everybody else trying to get it like crabs in a bucket, or more like Cutthoat Stew. He supports everything that comes out of Thizz making sure everybody in the Camp is eating.
PSD say’s, “I’m originally from Picayune, Mississippi. I came out hear in 1988, real green to what was going on, went to private schools and lived a real sheltered life. Vallejo, CA turned me out, the crack game wore my ass out, and I wasn’t ready for it. It was always in me, the game was too much for me I had to be a part of it. Eventually I shaped myself up to who I am today, now I’m a bad mother ****er, but don’t tell nobody.” We asked why does he call his self PSD Tha Drivah, he responds “in Swahili driver means control, you no you can’t touch want you can’t catch.”
PSD say’s “he’s been rapping ever since he thought he could.” One of the artists he looked up to coming up was Young MC, but since he never could meet him in person, he started looking up to the cats around the Crest Side, Vallejo. Real Life stars he could see and look up to in person putting out tapes

No comments: